This Abstract Painting
Creating an acrylic abstract painting is an amazing process and this painting was no different. I used heavy and thick layers of acrylic paints carefully blending and mixing some of the paints.
I used thick paper/card and applied three coats of gesso in the initial preparation of the surface. This is an essential step before you begin to apply acrylic paints on almost any surface.
Gesso works very well with acrylic paints. It dries very quickly allowing you to apply as many coats as you feel necessary.
I prefer to work on wood but due to limited space availability in my studio, I mainly use canvases to paint most of my paintings.
In this painting, you will feel the cheerful energy of light colours from yellow ochre and red colours. However, the blue colours and shades add a harmonious balance to the overall composition.
Adding a beautiful contrast of black and white works really well to add stability and space, too.
I used my favourite painting tools to create this acrylic abstract painting, a brush and a palette knife. A painting brush can create amazing brushstrokes showing different movements and directions. While a palette knife adds completely different hard or soft strokes.
No two tools would create the same effect. However, whatever tool you decide to use, it would be necessary to understand how your paint reacts to the tool.
I prefer to limit the number of tools I use, which are mainly a few paintbrushes, a palette knife and my hands.
Understanding your art tools and mediums is very important in the creative process. Equally important is understanding the language of colours, shapes and lines.
For example, straight edges represent strength and solidarity, while curved lines and shapes are a lot softer and smoother to look at.
Finding that balance is always the challenge to either create harmony and rhythm or highlight one side more than the other.
We all like a bit of balance in our busy lives.
- High quality acrylic paints and mixed media on a thick card. The card was tripled Gessoed in the initial preparation prior to creating the painting.
- Painting size: 45 x 63.5 cm (17.6 x 25”)
- Mat mount size: 54 x 75 cm (21.25 x 29.5”)
- The painting is mat mounted professionally on a white mat (see images above). The painting and mat are not framed.
- This painting is finished with a light coat of varnish.
- It is worth noting that the actual colours of the images shown here may slightly vary depending on your screen.
- Each painting is signed and dated on the front and back.
- A Certificate of Authenticity is shipped with each painting.
- Packaging: The painting will be wrapped in acid-free material and delivered in an appropriate postal package.
- Environment: My little contribution to the environment. I do my best to hand-write, as much as possible, to minimise paper and printing waste. I also try to recycle packaging materials, where possible.
Please check these tips to frame and care for your painting.
Interested in This Painting?
I would be delighted to provide any further details and discuss your requirements. Please drop me an email quoting the painting title and I will contact you shortly.